The Mondo Boards
December 13, 2017, 06:46:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome, guests!  Feel free to browse the boards.  In order to post or respond, you will need to register.  It's easy, and it's free!
Be sure you check the Mondo Cult site regularly - we're always updating!  http://www.MondoCult.com

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Continuing Saga  (Read 7564 times)
Jessie Lilley
Mad Woman of Santa Cruz
SuperHero Member

Jessie's Cat House

« on: September 29, 2012, 01:41:45 PM »

Quote from: Latarnia on 9/15/12 at Latarnia
Somewhere in the limited universe of classic horror fandom, there is doubt that Issue 11 had been released.

Well, yeah, it's been released a while back....

Of particular interest is the rare Karloff interview and his thoughts on Fu Manchu....

Coming up is issue #12, with a Creature cover!

The magazine monsters believe in!

------------------

Mirek

Quote from: Latarnia on 9/15/12 at Latarnia
I also should mention that I met Ray and Connie (for the first time!) over morning coffee here in Manhattan, while they are in town promoting tomorrow's event in New Jersey with Chuck McCann.  Chuck turned up, too, with his wife, Betty, and it was a delightful way to spend a few hours.  We talked of this and that, and, yes, the monster magazine business, which in the case of FREAKY MONSTERS is doing fine indeed.

Mirek

Quote from: FAMOUSMONSTERS62 on 9/16/12 at Latarnia
Sounds like a good ol time in the big apple,glad things are good. Looks like another fine issue coming our way. #11 was great as usual.

The atmosphere is heavy in here
Kevin AKA "famousmonsters62"

Quote from: cojobe on 9/18/12 at Latarnia
Latarnia wrote:I also should mention that I met Ray and Connie (for the first time!) over morning coffee here in Manhattan, while they are in town promoting tomorrow's event in New Jersey with Chuck McCann.  Chuck turned up, too, with his wife, Betty, and it was a delightful way to spend a few hours.  We talked of this and that, and, yes, the monster magazine business, which in the case of FREAKY MONSTERS is doing fine indeed.

Mirek

I am only sorry that with all the conversation and it being so early in the morning for us, that we all talked so much we forgot to take a picture with you!  BUMMER!  Great seeing you!

Have a Freaky Day!

Connie

Quote from: Latarnia on 9/24/12 at Latarnia
Is it alright to call a poster on another board an idiot? Well, probably, so let me call "Crow T Robot" of the CHFB an idiot. The guy still doesn't believe that FREAKY MONSTERS #11 is out and has been for weeks. Of course, along with this disbelief comes silly commentary based on his erroneous presumption.

Mirek

Quote from: cojobe on 9/24/12 at Latarnia
Let's not forget that it has to be in the hands of someone whom he deems reputable.  Never mind the folks who talk about receiving it, if they aren't in the "cliche" they must not have it.  The "cliche" supposedly doesn't buy it or read it or doing anything else with it, so they care why? Because it pains them so that we are still going when they said we never would.  Oh well, some things never change.  Nothing more to say than that!

Meanwhile, 12 is marching on to those who ordered!  On to 13!  Not bad for a magazine that wasn't supposed to survive!
And yes, I used the word "cliche" because it seemed to be so fitting!  The clicky clique is so cliche!

Have a Freaky Day!

Connie

Quote from: Latarnia on 9/25/12 at Latarnia
Well, it seems the jerks are coming out of the CHFB woodwork. Truly pathetic.  Get a life, guys.

Mirek

Quote from: The Drunken Severed Head on 9/26/12 at Latarnia
Robert Andrew wrote: The "pulp" feel of Scary Monsters is one of the things I enjoy about that magazine.

And though Mirek apparently just called him a "jerk," editor/publisher Dennis Druktenis is a dependable and honest guy.

Quote from: Latarnia on 9/26/12 at Latarnia
Did I call him a "jerk"? Quite possibly, yes. But my sights were aimed at other jerks in that thread.

Mirek

Quote from: Latarnia on 9/26/12 at Latarnia
Okay, I checked to refresh my memory. So, yeah, he is one of the jerks in that thread.

Mirek

Quote from: Robert Andrew on 9/26/12 at Latarnia
Arguments over classic monster magazines seem very silly to me.

Quote from: Latarnia on 9/28/12 at Latarnia
Now someone over there has gotten a bad case of the Richard Valley! Crazy!

Mirek

Quote from: Robert Andrew on 9/28/12 at Latarnia
What's a bad case of the Richard Valleys?

Quote from: cojobe on 9/28/12 at Latarnia
I get such a kick.  I have no complaints from any of our current customers saying they didn't get their issue 11 and have no control over Diamond Distribution.  I am finding it more and more interesting that the CHFB seems to think they are Gods again, they know it all, they rule the world and they give horror fandom a black eye.  I talk to more and more people who tell me they read over there, but it has gotten so bitter and nasty in so many of the areas that they go less and less and certainly don't post much.  There are a few over there who tend to start a topic in the hopes of derailing our business by putting the thought into people's minds that we didn't ship.  So be it!  I have ONE subscriber who didn't get his 11, and that was because he moved and the automated system I use to print labels had not been changed, MY BAD!  He is getting his 11 with his 12  (at his request) which is in process of shipping to subs and has already been delivered to Diamond.  Whatever will be will be with those folks.  They make comments about us like "well they hide the past", no not really, we just moved on, moved forward and kept on going.  Remember the old, there is no such thing as Freaky Monsters 1?  How did that turn out?  Anyway, I am not banned from there, but I don't feel like I want to deal with even thinking of posting there, I would be slapped and mutilated emotionally by a bunch of knuckleheads whose only thought in life is, "let's beat up on RAY and CONNIE, it's been a while since we did that!"   Perhaps they should worry about the economy or the elections or something that matters in the grand scheme of things.  Our fans like what we do, we don't care if a few CHFBr's like it or don't.  They are not our concern and we shouldn't be there's.  There is a whole life out side that board and some of them need to get out and smell some fresh air sometimes, it would do them a world of good!  But, they won't.  They feel like big shots there and need that in order to survive their own muck!  They can wallow in it, we don't.   We keep on moving forward, because we are all only humans after all and if you live in and for your past you will never be able to enjoy your day or your future!

Take care!

Have a Freaky Day!

Connie

They're pissed because you're up to issue # 12 and they were certain that even issue #1 would never see the light of day.

Mirek

Robert Andrew wrote: What's a bad case of the Richard Valleys?

This is a bad case of the Richard Valley, using this.....

rolling rolling rolling rolling rolling rolling

....  and here I thought this person was beyond her Valley influences!

Mirek

Quote from: The Drunken Severed Head on 9/28/12 at Latarnia
Someone over here has a bad case of the Calvin Becks.

Quote from: Robert Andrew on 9/28/12 at Latarnia
As for the CHFB, it seems to exist as on on-line retirement community for a couple of boring old farts and their coteries of sycophantic fanboys.

Jessie Lilley
Editor-in-chief
Mondo Cult
Jessie Lilley
Mad Woman of Santa Cruz
SuperHero Member

Jessie's Cat House

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 09:16:20 PM »

Quote from: Latarnia on 9/29/12 at Latarnia
Regarding Druktenis, perhaps he should have phrased his concerns better on the CHFB, instead of demanding an answer as to why he didn't find FREAKY #11 available from Diamond.  If his subscribers really want the issue, they should order it direct from the publisher, instead of through Druktenis.

Mirek

Quote from: Cojobe on 9/29/12 at Latarnia
Just so we are clear, Dennis nor My Movie Monsters buys directly from us.  Those that do order directly from us, have gotten the issue and again, that is the end of my control of the situation and as far as print on demand is concerned, as far as we are concerned, it's not feasible with the number of subscribers etc., distributor, dealer and preorders we print for.  We took some time off, yes, because we had been going fast and furious for months.  We also like the quality of the photos and the covers we get from the printer we use, end of story.  No print on demand here.  But, no one would believe that so I don't know why I even bothered saying it.  I had no idea that you (Dick) had not seen an issue since 5.   I probably should check our comp list and be sure you are still on it and didn't get deleted by mistake huh?
Thanks

Have a Freaky Day!

Connie

and btw, maybe I should thank those folks at the CHFB.  Sales for subscriptions and preorders on 12 have gone up and people are starting to write in and tell us how much they appreciate Freaky Monsters.  They are reading all this and that and are beginning to understand the pattern because they have gotten what they ordered. 
For us, subscribers are important to us because they are dependable and we know how many of them there are going to be for a few issues, no guessing.  Direct dealers go up and down all the time, every issue and you can suddenly have a dealer who can't afford it one issue and affect a number that you have already printed for based on what they normally do, therefore we LOVE subscribers!
So, thanks again for all the suggestions and innuendo and guessing.  It really boosted our morale and customers see through it in the end.  Truly, for a lot of our readers those comments mean nothing and in the end, they look at the grumblers as revengeful jerks!  I guess it takes a village......................oh, wait, that's a whole other subject!  lol!

Have a Freaky Day!

Connie

Quote from: Latarnia on 9/29/12 at Latarnia
Thanks for definitely clearing this up, Connie, and confirming my suppositions.  Case closed for rational people.

Mirek

Anytime Mirek!  I try my best to stay in touch with rational people.  Those who are revengeful, jealous and/or just all around jerky, not so much!  To quote our president,
“If you don’t have a record to run on, then you paint your opponent as someone people should run from.”

Perhaps not exactly the same thing, but, well, note that they bring up whatever they can from the past whenever they find that their favorite is not measuring up...................enough said!

Take care

Have a Freaky Day!

Connie

Quote from: isohgirl on 9/29/12 at Latarnia
If the implication is that Dennis Druktenis is among the "irrational", he isn't. Just someone who supports us mag publishers. If one has been regularly getting their copies from Diamond, and suddenly subscribers are getting theirs but not the dealers, then there is wonderment. In an ideal world I'd like to sell ALL my copies direct and make full price on all sales. Doesn't work like that. You support the dealers that you give the big discounts to as well as the loyal subscribers, who actually keep the mag solvent. Don't take this to mean I'm saying Connie and Ray aren't doing their job - they know what support Nancy and I have given over the years and we don't plan to change.

As to print-on-demand, my comments were to price not quality - there is no need, with print on demand, to publish more than you know you have sold at any particular time.  No way that FREAKY MONSTERS  is being done print on demand - it looks too good. I can say if I used print on demand, I could publish LSoH at almost half the price of the upcoming LSoH #29. And I have a pretty sizable print run...but at 108 pages with the slick, heavy paper, it costs a LOT more. But short of the bottom falling out on LSoH (which could always happen), I'll publish using a regular print house.

PS - why shouldn't Dennis Druktenis want the issues and to make money? I get the impression from Mirek's comment that there is something wrong with Druktenis making money selling someone else's magazine?? LoL...

Quote from: Latarnia on 9/30/12 at Latarnia
No, I'm not implying that Druktenis is irrational. I wrote that the case should be closed for the rational, the case being whether FREAKY MONSTERS is print on demand, when it clearly is not. And certainly the case should be closed whether or not FREAKY MONSTERS #11 exists.

I'm also not stating that there's something wrong in Druktenis wishing to make money by selling FREAKY MONSTERS, but just that his manner of asking about this on the CHFB was unusually forceful, almost combative.  It appeared he that demanded to know why #11 was not available from Diamond.  He also presented himself as being concerned about the fans of FREAKY MONSTERS who may not be getting their issue, when he should have made it clear that he was speaking of those who would get the issue from him.  If I were in his situation, and wasn't able to get FREAKY #11 from Diamond for my people, I'd direct them to FREAKY MONSTERS itself, so that they could order directly an issue I could not provide at this time.

Mirek

Quote from: isohgirl on 9/30/12 at Latarnia
hmmm...... while it seems a good idea to say "I can't get the magazine anymore. Buy it from the publisher."  I tried the same thing with LSoH when Diamond dropped us a few years ago. Didn't work. Some people are used to getting their mags from their local comic shop or distributors like Scary Monsters. You lose a connection with Diamond, Scary Monster, etc. and it is just business lost.

And I can say, if I was a distributor, if I couldn't do business with a magazine, either directly or indirectly, I wouldn't send business their way that would be business I was losing. Would be more inclined to just say "I can't get this magazine anymore." Then it would be up to the reader to decide how to proceed next. I know this sounds a bit harsh, but in the case of distributors like Scary Monsters, their business is what pays the bills. And you have to treat it like a business, not a hobby.

Not trying to put the knock on Ray, Connie and FREAKY MONSTERS. We're friends, and I've supported them in public, and behind he scenes, for quite some time. I like FREAKY MONSTERS. Only speaking from the viewpoint of a publisher of a limited interest genre zine myself.

Quote from: Cojobe on 9/30/12 at Latarnia
AND it is our business, our only business and it's not a hobby.  When I mentioned Dealers, I am talking about Direct Dealers..............Diamond numbers are pretty consistent, but the dealers who order direct and there are only a couple now will suddenly decide that they can't afford it, they change their numbers, even suddenly start ordering from Diamond and we sit then on a load of magazines that they USED to always order direct from us.  I am also not sure that it's a good idea for anyone to actually take preorders unless they are coming direct from us and certainly not way up into #16.  We tend to take preorders for only a few weeks, less than a month, on our issues.  We aren't going to stop publishing but what if, Diamond suddenly stops taking it or we decide to stop sending to Diamond or we take a month off or we die or all the what if's I can think of.  We also try hard to understand the mentality of those dealers who elevate the price within a few days of getting the current issues.  We started raising ours as the next issue comes out because we were trying to keep up with the current EBAY prices of our issues being sold by other dealers without going too far.  I know many of you wouldn't get it, and think this is kind of unfair to say, but when a dealer buys an issue at a low cost and then elevates it to an outrageous amount shortly after coming out, we feel a little shortchanged.  It happened for years with the other magazine we published and we just turned a blind eye, but this time around, we have kind of limited the number of EBAY dealers who have it because of that reason.  We are now out there so we don't need as many dealers to have it as we used to, so we stayed loyal to a couple of internet/ebay dealers but turned down the rest.  We don't want to see our fans gouged!

Thanks for the info, Connie. As someone for which this HAS been a hobby all these years, I still will not take money from personal family funds to finance my magazine. If that day comes, I'd have to fold it. I generally solicit a month ahead from the dealers who buy direct. Diamond you have to solicit some months ahead (as you are well aware of). I'm much more able to stay afloat, financially, if people buy direct from me.

Since there are a lot of copies of each recent issue of LSoH, I don't have the EBay problem. I know some EBayer's got mad when I started offering reprints of back issues, but I thought it was ridiculous for readers who might have missed an issue 30 years ago to have to pay hundreds of dollars, when I could sell all of them for $12 a pop+ postage. My dealers sometimes offer discounts, but are generally in the range of what I sell it at. And we all have to charge postage. The days of eating it are long past!

I wish you and Ray well with FM,as you know, Connie. Keep on going!

Quote from: Robert Andrew on 9/30/12 at Latarnia
I think adding PayPal as a payment option is a great idea, as I'd much prefer to buy my copies of Freaky Monsters directly from you.

Quote from: Cojobe on 9/30/12 at Latarnia
Not gonna happen Robert, sorry.  Here is the problem with Paypal.  EVEN if you ship an item, have tracking etc., someone can say it was trashed and Paypal just takes the money back plus a fee and you are out the magazine, the money and extra on top of that.   The shipping we do is first class with no delivery confirmation unless there is more than one issue.  We don't have to charge outrageous $5 or $6 that way for shipping.  If you use paypal you are forced to do tracking numbers etc.  Our card processor is great.  We love the way they do business.  We send them a list of mail outs by first class when we do an entire issue and that's what they require.  We think it's more economical for everyone that way.  We also don't want to have different options because truthfully it's a pain in the butt!
Thanks

Have a Freaky Day!

Connie

Quote from: Cojobe on 10/5/12 at Latarnia
You know, it's interesting, now they are trying to interfere with subscribers and our customers implying that we are going out of business of some such. But, since there is a public post of a subscriber who is concerned that he may not get his issues, 12 is sitting here right now, seems we have a clear cut case of Interference in Business Relationships and it's definitely intentional. Just like 1, it's out there, but they all want to claim otherwise. Can't help them with the Diamond Dist thing but I can help our direct customers who by all accounts have gotten their issues, with no complaints. Here is the law about such interference. I am not saying we will have the money to do anything about it, but you have several years to act on such a claim!

“A claim for tortious interference with prospective business relationships requires a plaintiff to plead the following: (1) a business relationship or contemplated contract of economic benefit; (2) the defendant’s knowledge of such a relationship; (3) the defendant’s intentional and improper interference with it; and (4) the plaintiff’s loss of advantage directly resulting from the defendant’s conduct.”[1]

There is one who claims that we never printed 11, again because no one that he "trusts" has it. I was going to write David privately, but figured at this point, I am kind of tired of hearing the same old same old. No group hug necessary, just a thought that they might want to mind their own lives and stay out of ours. Again, it's getting a little tedious. We have work to do and do not plan on having to explain something that doesn't exist for ourselves. No need to defend ourselves, the proof was in the mail of 11 and folks should start seeing 12's very shortly! Oh well, can't change the spots on a leopard!

Quote from: Robert Andrew on 10/5/12 at Latarnia
I wonder why the CHFB mods haven't put a stop to such talk. Seems like they're almost giving their tacit approval to that kind of talk by remaining silent. I only say this because the CHFB seem so "active" otherwise, banning people and restricting their posting privileges and all.

Quote from: Cojobe on 10/5/12 at Latarnia
Because Robert, it's okay to say whatever they want about us, but they protect everyone and everything else.  David will smack their little hands a little and they will tone it down a little while and then, they will flare up again!  It's just a few of the guys who can't get the same "chest beating" experience without that constant CHFB adolation!  

Well, I add that the posts are removed but you know my screen saver is faster than the removal.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 06:49:52 PM by Jessie Lilley » Logged

Jessie Lilley
Editor-in-chief
Mondo Cult
Jessie Lilley
Mad Woman of Santa Cruz
SuperHero Member

Jessie's Cat House

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 07:02:17 PM »

Quote from: Robert Andrew on 10/6/12 at Latarnia
Honestly, I'd rather read Freaky Monsters than look at the CHFB any day of the week.

Quote from: horrorheadfred on 10/7/12 at Latarnia
I didn't see any post that stated without reservation that Freaky 11 hasn't come out. I did see a post where someone said that, as far as he was concerned (i.e. in his opinion) unless he see's it on a magazine rack or for sale online, it doesnt exist to him. the difference between that and someone vying for a concerted attempt to hurt your business is pretty massive. but i do get where you're coming from. it must be aggravating to have to constantly read posts that are not in favor of your enterprise.

I do wish you luck in that regard.

Matt

Quote from: Latarnia on 10/7/12 at Latarnia
I read it differently than you did, Matt. There was definitely an implication of, "Sure, it's come out, but I'll believe it when I see it." A new subscriber even chipped in to wonder if he made a mistake subscribing! Gee, I wonder where he picked up such a concern?

Mirek

Quote from: Cojobe on 10/7/12 at Latarnia
I was going to put the screen shot of his comment (that was deleted) up but didn't want to embarrass the subscriber or carry his name etc to another board. What we are now becoming keenly aware is that it has angered our fans who read this nonsense and some are angry with the whole process that the CHFB has gone through trying so desperately to put down our business and our magazine and some are worried that their subscriptions will not be filled, or their preorders won't be mailed based on the innuendo at the CHFB. I have emails for the last few days about it, asking questions etc. and a few facebook messages doing the same. I don't know how anyone else looks at it, but to deliberately put it in people's minds, like it was done with Freaky Monsters #1, that it's not real, it's never coming out etc., is interference in business. There is a difference between free speech and twisting of fact in order to put doubt in a customers mind.

Just because we have not done anything about it in the past or right this moment, does not mean that we won't at some future date. Never ever think we just defend ourselves and go forward without remembering and holding on to those screenshots for future reference. You never know what tomorrow, next month or next year will bring!

Have a Freaky Day!

Connie

people posting reservations about Freaky issues who had previous problems from past orders with you is understandable. surely some still sit at the table with a bitter pill in their mouth. some have moved on. that said, if i was ordering from an enterprise and someone let me know of the possible negative ramifications i'd be thankful. doesnt mean i'd always listen.

fortunately for you, you guys put out a quality mag that is enjoyable to your customer base. the best course would be to ensure orders are fullfilled on a timely basis and show your subscribers/orderers that worry enduced from chfb posts (or other sites) is unworthy of consideration.

i'll add that making threats is a waste of time. if you want to pursue legal action, then i can assure you others will as well. i've found that forgiving and forgetting is usually the best policy, but that's just me.

Matt

Quote from: Latarnia on 10/7/12 at Latarnia
Matt, I could be wrong but I didn't notice any doubters about #11 who had "previous problems from past orders."

It is also, I think, hubris to tell a publisher that he/she should be fulfilling orders "on a timely basis," etc., as it implies that orders are NOT being fulfilled on a timely basis or at least the suspicion is that they are not. It's also unclear what "orders" we are talking about.

I wonder if any other mom and pop horror magazine out there is being pursued with such innuendo and accusation and certain people telling the publisher how the publisher should conduct business.

Mirek

not hubris at all when you consider my post and the posts in question on chfb. perhaps you didn't get a chance to read those. connie has them. maybe she'll share. one of the posters was waiting for their issue of 11 as others have already had it for some time. they seemed concerned about it, at least that was my take.

and i'm not telling anyone to do anything. merely suggesting a path i've found useful that has worked for me. letting go of what you consider nonsensical and forgeing ahead for success is a much better path than allowing those very people to own so much of yourself that you allow them to permiate your nature. maybe that's too deep. life's too short to let it be owned by discontent. forget all the past, look to the future, be consistent and love life.

peace.

Matt

Quote from: Cojobe on 10/8/12 at Latarnia
The only one questioning not getting 11, was someone who did not order direct from the "publisher".  You speak about the past and letting go and moving forward, but it seems to me after a successful run of 12 issues now, of a new title, which was never supposed to be real in the first place, is a pretty good example of letting go and moving forward.  There are a few people who aren't letting go and moving forward and we are definitely not in that group and by our number of satisfied readers, they have moved forward also.
Now if you will excuse me, you can go back to your regularly scheduled programming, I have enjoyment to feel at home in front of the tv. Don't worry there are very few things that permeate our nature these days and although I have made a few comments to be sure that we weigh in on tedious topics, these boards permeate nothing in our everyday life.  We have much better things to do and most of them are fun!

Have a Freaky Day!

Connie

Jessie Lilley
Editor-in-chief
Mondo Cult
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: