The Mondo Boards
September 19, 2017, 11:27:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome, guests!  Feel free to browse the boards.  In order to post or respond, you will need to register.  It's easy, and it's free!
Be sure you check the Mondo Cult site regularly - we're always updating!  http://www.MondoCult.com

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spiritual Terror: The Horror Films of Val Lewton  (Read 7190 times)
Jessie Lilley
Mad Woman of Santa Cruz
SuperHero Member

Jessie's Cat House

« on: March 07, 2010, 03:42:01 PM »

Brad Linaweaver's in depth work on Val Lewton was first published in Wonder magazine # 11 in 1995. It was a very small run and I love the piece so I've gotten permission to rerun it here online. Check out Spiritual Terror: The Horror Films of Val Lewton and let's talk about it.

Jessie Lilley
Editor-in-chief
Mondo Cult
ARGumshoe
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 09:16:22 AM »

On my monitor, I can't see the full Mondo Cult site.  For lack of the proper words, the rightest most part is cut off.   I don't see any scroll bar at the bottom, and re-sizing the screen page doesn't make any difference.  Any suggestions?
Jessie Lilley
Mad Woman of Santa Cruz
SuperHero Member

Jessie's Cat House

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 09:36:05 AM »

Are you using Internet Explorer? That might be the problem. Microsoft feels they can stay mired in their own past and not keep up with the times. If you have a different browser that you use, Firefox or Safari, you will probably be able to see the whole thing with no problem.

I wasn't aware of this problem until after the website had been built and tested everywhere. We found the only browser that didn't work was IE. Sadly, I couldn't afford to re-do it for IE only. If I'd done that than no one else could read it either.

It sucks, I know, but IE keeps claiming they're going to fix all the problems - and then they don't.

So, if that IS the problem, Firefox is free to download, and if you have it, you can always sign on there to read us.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what did you do?

Jessie Lilley
Editor-in-chief
Mondo Cult
rockinrichard

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 09:45:22 AM »

I use Internet Explorer and Windows 7, and have no problem with the Mondo Cult site. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
ARGumshoe
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 10:05:04 AM »

I'm using Firefox, but I do have an older computer so that may have something to do with the way the graphics display.  I'm taking a break from yard work (in the 90s with *high* humidity from the 11 inches of rain we've gotten the past week - the grass is wet from the ground evaporation), so I'm happy to fiddle with this for a while!

Okay - I found a work around.
I was able to do a 'print preview' and see the full page, though not at full size.  When I increased the magnification, I again lost part of the print.
So...  I printed a test page into a PDF and got the full width, which I can now magnify and read. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 10:18:40 AM by ARGumshoe » Logged
ARGumshoe
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 02:20:17 PM »

I enjoyed the article and it encourages me to pull out my Lewton set... if I can find which box it's stored in under the bed.  Hopefully this admission won't get me kicked off the board, but I haven't yet watched any of the set and I've probably only ever seen one or two of the films... EVER! (as the Mythbusters would say). 
Jessie Lilley
Mad Woman of Santa Cruz
SuperHero Member

Jessie's Cat House

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 05:37:08 PM »

I envy you seeing them for the first time.

Jessie Lilley
Editor-in-chief
Mondo Cult
ARGumshoe
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 07:28:18 AM »

I envy you seeing them for the first time.

I got lucky and just found the set in the first box I pulled out from under the bed.  I put it off last night because I didn't hold out much hope & figured I'd just end up frustrated.   
evilskippy

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 11:02:49 AM »

When I saw I Walked With A Zombie as a kid I didn't like it. Now much older (and hopefully wiser) IMHO it is one of the finest films ever made. It is my favorite American film hands down. No matter how often I watch it it just gets better.

The Seventh Victim, The Body Snatcher and The Leopard Man are also top notch films that never get old either.

Cat People is also very good but I actually prefer the 80's remake. Isle Of The Dead has some wonderful moments but even after repeated viewings I can't place this above middling.

The rest of the films I'm not so keen on.

"Can you spare a coin for a moral cripple?"
gcalan
Magnificent Member

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 03:42:14 PM »

When I saw I Walked With A Zombie as a kid I didn't like it. Now much older (and hopefully wiser) IMHO it is one of the finest films ever made. It is my favorite American film hands down. No matter how often I watch it it just gets better.

The Seventh Victim, The Body Snatcher and The Leopard Man are also top notch films that never get old either.

Cat People is also very good but I actually prefer the 80's remake. Isle Of The Dead has some wonderful moments but even after repeated viewings I can't place this above middling.

The rest of the films I'm not so keen on.

I did not see The Seventh Victim until several years ago when the Lewton box set was released. I found this movie captivating. It's filled with a sense of dread. Also, the ending is very dark for a film of its time.
Jessie Lilley
Mad Woman of Santa Cruz
SuperHero Member

Jessie's Cat House

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 05:12:40 PM »

The Body Snatcher and The Seventh Victim have been in my top 10 for decades now.

Jessie Lilley
Editor-in-chief
Mondo Cult
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: